Free, Open source Instant Messaging , chat scripts, applications, video conferencing and shout boxes scripts and applications.
Today i am going to share, my favorite collection o f Instant Messaging , chat scripts, applications, video conferencing and shout boxes for your website. if you love this post then please remember to subscribe our RSS feeds
BigBlueButton: Open Source Video Conferencing
BigBlueButton is an open source video conferencing application which is specifically built for remote learning but can be used for standard meetings as well.
The application enables multiple users to login & share their webcam or communicate via VOIP at the same time.
It is a very ideal application for presentations as users can upload PDF or office documents & keep everyone in sync with their current page, zoom, pan, mouse pointer etc.
Also, users can share their desktop with others easily.
There are 3 user types:
- Presenter: can upload presentations & sharing their desktop
- Viewer: have no authority within the conference, can only view & chat with other users
- Moderator:can upload presentations, share the desktop & change user types of other users.
Users can raise hands to get the attention of the presenter, mute any other participants they want & chat between themselves in public or privately.
BigBlueButton completely relies on open source technologies & it can be improved further with the API provided.
iJab: Open Source Ajaxed IM Client
iJab is an open source, web-based & Ajaxed instant messenger application that uses the XMPP/Jabber protocol.
iJab has lots of features like:
- theme support
- new message pop-up notifications
- multi-user chat
- search users
- avatar, smiley support
- & much more..
The application has 3 modes: stand-alone application, Facebook-like web chat bar in page & live support
IntraMessenger: Instant Messenger For Communities
IntraMessenger is a free application for that enables communication between communities, groups, companies or simply closed groups.
It consists of a client (for Windows) & a PHP-MySQL-based open source server to manage the whole communication.
The messenger is autonomous, but authentication (login + password) is possible from other existing databases like forums, groupware applications, e-learning systems, etc.
It can operate in 2 modes:
- open community : everybody can see everybody, without add to contact list
- groups only : everybody can see everybody (but only) is they are in the same group
IntraMessenger has a multilingual interface & it is a handy application for enabling web-based communities to communicate in the desktop.
Add Chat (Text And Webcam) To Your Website With toksta*
toksta* is a free instant messenger with text & webcam based chat support.
It is a hosted application that can be integrated to your website & user database. With this feature, your users won’t have to re-login to the messenger.
toksta* also provides plug-ins for phpBB2, phpBB3, punBB, phpMyForum and vBulletin.
toksta* lets you customize the design via an easy to use configurator & you can upload your logo to the application.
Another nice feature is the revenue sharing. The revenue of ads that are shown during the chat is shared between the site owner & toksta*.
firefly: A New Approach To Chat
firefly is a totally different chat system which can power your websites.
- See other users mouse movements,
- Choose avatars,
- See the chat history,
- Howmany people are already in the page.
As a developer, all I can ask for more is an API that enables integrating any userbase to the system for adding auto avatars, names to the users etc. Considering this is a fresh chat service, in the future, why not?
You should definitely give firefly a try & will probably be impressed.
Mia Chat: PHP – Ajax Chat Application
Mia Chat is an Ajaxed PHP chat application which is very simple to use & install.
It functions similar to the messenger applications, you can add buddies, chat with several users at the same time, change your online status & more.
This PHP chat supports many databases for storing data like MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle 8+, MS SQL Server 2000+, SQLite 2+ and PostgreSQL 7+.
wTag: PHP Shoutbox Script
wTag is a shoutbox script (mini chat) written in PHP which uses Ajax to refresh the chat.
It uses MySQL to store the data, has a CSS-based smiley dropdown which can be enabled/disabled and a bad words & spam filter.
Other features of this PHP shoutbox script are:
- Replace URLs catched in a message with clickable links.
- UTF-8 encoding for multilingual support.
- Compliance with XHTML 1.0 Transitional and CSS.
- Custom designs: it’s easy to change the chatbox look by editing the CSS files.
- A form validation and warnings display system.
Ajax Chat: Voice Enabled Powerful Web Chat Software
AJAX Chat supports voice chat that is powered by Flash & Ruby (sound support is optional).
This free AJAX chat software integrates easily with PHP community softwares like phpBB, MyBB, PunBB, SMF, vBulletin and sample integrations are provided with the software.
Some beautiful features include
- Multilanguage support
- Multiple channels
- Private messaging
- Private channels
- Invitation system
- Kick or ban offending users
- Online users list with user menu
- Emoticons / Smilies
- Flood control
- Possibility to delete messages inside the chat
- IRC style commands
- Possibility to define opening hours for the chat
- Possibility to enable/disable guest users
- Template system
- Standards compliance (XHTML 1.0 strict)
- Realtime monitoring and logs viewer
- Easy integration into existing authentication systems
- Well commented source code
Ajax Chat is developed with security in mind and it is strong against code injections, SQL injections, cross-site scripting (XSS), session stealing and other attacks.
Add An Ajax Instant Messenger To Your Web Projects
ajax im is an ajax chat script that creates a real-time chat environment with a browser based interface.
ajax im is also a multilingual script and language files can be found in the script website.
How ajax im works?
The XMLHTTPRequest object allows HTTP requests to be sent to the server and get input back from the server. There are two parts to the client-server interaction through this object:
- The client sends data to the server (a PHP script), such as a new message to another user. This data is then processed by the server (“cleaning” the data of any thing invalid) and put into the database, which is later “pinged” by another client.